Pages

.... from a small rural school in Elbert, Colorado.

A good teacher is surrounded by MANY great teachers! Thank you to the great teachers at my school and out in blogland!



Saturday, May 26, 2012

Busy - Thinking

As I'm sitting here on my brown leather couch, I am listening to the wind and thinking.  I've been out of work for one week now and my mind is still at school.  I am thinking about next year.  I'm hearing that my class may be small, very small (maybe 6-8).  My lowest has been 10, but last year my 16 was perfect.  I'm really praying for more, since I don't want to be in jeopardy of losing my class to a combo.  With such a small class, I'm thinking of what my classroom can be set up like.  What about discipline?  Easy, huh?  The ideas are rolling around and won't quit.  I'll be sharing lots of them soon, since I owe the teachers in the blogging community that have changed me over the years.  I love all of your ideas and have adapted many of them to what I've done and like over the past 21 years.  I just created a 1 week lesson plan for TpT for the first week of school called - Plan for Establishing Correct Behavior and Classroom Rules Using Books. I have done this plan in my third grade class and love it.  Not only that - it works.  Kids remember "Molly Lou Melon" all year and never forget that instead of tattling to "STAND TALL."  My students know that bad behavior is not related to bad people.  We all have bad days once in awhile like Alexander in "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day."  My students know that there is a safe place in the room to THINK.  I don't have to do a pocket chart, flip chart, clip chart, or any other chart for behavior once this one week is completed.  I use class money in third grade for good behavior and the "Think Sheet" for those bad days.  It works.  Of course I use The Daily Five, too.  Well, as you can probably see, I have lots to talk about, but I better give my husband some time today, too.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I can not believe your class size. I am sitting with 27 third graders. We are busting out of the seams! Enjoy your small group. I hope you get your wish!

    ReplyDelete